We use an electromagnet to lock the SmartBox and keep your deliveries safe. You can unlock or lock your SmartBox using these three methods:
- The lock toggle on the Home Screen of the mobile app
- The force unlock feature in the Smart Box details section of the mobile app
- The Customer Portal website
Troubleshooting a lock issue
If you are unable to control the lock on your Smart Box using the methods described above, you may be experiencing one of the following issues:
- The Smart Box is unable to connect to the HomeValet platform via WiFi, and the Smart Box is unable to connect to the HomeValet mobile app via Bluetooth
As long as your Smart Box is connected to WiFi and can access the HomeValet platform, you will be able to control the lock feature of the SmartBox from anywhere using the HomeValet mobile app.
If your Smart Box has lost its WiFi connection or is otherwise unable to access the HomeValet platform, you can still open your Smart Box via Bluetooth:
Stand close to the Smart Box with your mobile phone, open the HomeValet app, and unlock/lock your Smart Box from the Home Screen.
If your Smart Box cannot connect to either the HomeValet platform or the HomeValet mobile app via Bluetooth, you will not be able to unlock or lock the Smart Box.
- The Smart Box has no access to power, and the backup battery has died
The Smart Box’s electromagnet requires power to remain engaged. If you experience a power outage and the Smart Box cannot receive power from the GFCI-protected outlet that it’s plugged into, it will switch to backup battery power.
The backup battery lasts approximately 24-36 hours and will power the electromagnet during this time.
Once the backup battery has fully discharged, the electromagnet will release, unlocking your Smart Box.
The Smart Box will not be able to lock again until power has been restored.
- Something is preventing the electromagnet from engaging
While something thin like a piece of cloth or a shopping bag will not prevent the electromagnet from engaging, something bulky might.
Deliveries that prevent the Smart Box lid from fully closing or that physically block the electromagnet will keep the Smart Box from locking.